Monday, January 3, 2011

Visiting artist: Hamlett Dobbins

Hamlett Dobbins is an artist who makes his paintings abstract in a way that works with the materials and style he uses. My favorite piece of his art is a painting he did called 180 Finger Collective, Spring 2009, Memphis, Tennessee. This painting was something that stood out to me because most of the paintings are more colorful with not as clear figures as apposed to this painting that has a clear figure of a dragon and a person. The quote is also something that stood out to me that says, " I am in love with the world (to be whispered without a hint of irony)." I enjoyed the fact the the quote said I am in love with the world, while the dragon is flying over the world with the person on its back.  I also like how he made the background all one color and the dragon and quote are something that my eyes are drawn to. This piece fits in with the rest of his work because he uses his same abstract/fantasy concept when he is using the dragon, as well as the quotes that he has used in a couple other paintings he has done. One question I would like to ask Hamlett Dobbins is why do use tend to go with more abstract work as apposed to more figure or drawing from observation?

No comments:

Post a Comment